In diabetic people, maintain proper foot hygiene, Choosing the right footwear and minimizing the risk of a fall is essential to prevent serious complications.
One of the ailments associated with diabetes isel diabetic foot, which leads to a reduction in sensitivity in the lower extremities and the appearance of infections that can have serious consequences. for all this, taking care of foot hygiene and correctly choosing the footwear or shoes for diabetics to use is essential for people who suffer from this disease.
According to data handledTK Home Solutions, the leading company in stair lifts for the home, three out of ten people with diabetes are at high risk of developing a diabetic foot throughout his life. for all this, prevention is essential, since it is estimated that up to eight out of ten problems related to diabetic foot can be prevented by taking the appropriate measures.
Lasmost important preventive measures They go through buying suitable footwear and extreme hygienic measures in the lower extremities. It is also convenient to adapt the house in order to reduce the chances of suffering an accident that could lead to fractures., since in diabetic people any wound can lead to complications.
¿How to choose the best shoes for diabetics?
When choosing a shoe, the experts ofTK Home Solutions show what are the considerations that must be taken into account:
1. roomy toe box. Diabetics need diabetic shoes, especially in the front, count onenough room for fingers to move freely. If they are crowded together, they can cause injuries or cause excessive sweating that could lead to the appearance of fungi. The most recommended areshoes finished in square or rectangular toes, tall and wide.
2. Choose the correct number. Although the foot needs to have some freedom of movement, It is not advisable to buy a number greater than the one used, because in this way the foot would dance inside the shoe and ulcers could form. Ideally, the model you buy holds the foot well without pressing it. Many people with diabetes decide to buyshoes with laces or velcro strapsin order to be able to graduate the grip depending on how swollen your feet are or the socks you use at all times.
3. Do not choose open shoes. Losclosed shoes are the best option because this prevents pebbles from entering that could cause an injury to the feet. Many people with diabetes complain of a lack of sensitivity that would prevent them from being detected.
4. Made of the right material. It is best to chooseshoes made of good quality material, avoiding synthetics, since fungi and bacteria proliferate in humid and warm environments. The chosen material should beflexible and breathable.
5. Thick soles and reinforced heel. Lasshoe soles cannot be thin or soft, since they must protect the foot from sharp objects. Además, they must be non-slip. As for thetacon, It is best to have between two and five centimeters in height, and that it is reinforced. If the diabetic person uses specific insoles, The best thing to do is to try on the shoes with them.
6. padded interior. The inside of the shoe, especially the part where the foot enters, should be padded, to reduce the possibility of chafing. Además, the model chosen must not have internal seams.
7. Preferably in light colors. Light colors absorb less heat from the sun's rays. y, por tanto, they prevent the feet from overheating as much as dark colored shoes do in summer. If you live in an area with sharply contrasting temperatures, the ideal is to have a warmer shoe and a more ventilated one, to be able to alternate them.
8. Buy the shoe in the afternoon. The ideal is to go to the shoe store after five in the afternoon, when the foot is somewhat more swollen for what has been walked during the day. This way, you will not run the risk of buying a shoe that the next day may seem too tight.
9. Trying on diabetic shoes on both feet. When buying shoes, and taking into account thattwo out of three people have one foot slightly larger than the other, you have to try the shoes on both feet and walk around the store to see the sensations they cause and feel if they press on any point of the foot.
Tips and care for feet in diabetics
Maintaining proper foot care and hygiene will prevent the appearance of wounds that can cause serious complications.. the experts ofTK Home Solutions show what care is required for the feet of a diabetic person:
Observe feet daily. You have to observe the feet every day in a meticulous way tocheck for any injuries, blister or chafing. If so, it should be cured with neutral soap and warm water., apply a mild antiseptic and cover the area with a sterile, non-adhesive dressing. Before any doubt, better consult the doctor.
Always clean and dry. after getting out of the shower, the diabetic person has to dry the feet well, especially the area between the fingers. The same way, it is convenient to change your socks every day and prevent your feet from sweating, since humidity can cause wounds or infections.
Specific nail care. If there is a risk of cutting, better file your nails. And if they cut, you always have to do it straight, filing the edges to prevent them from digging in and causing wounds in the meat.
Do not manipulate the feet. You don't have to touch calluses, no hardness. The specific care of the feet corresponds to the podiatrist.
Wear proper socks. Socks must be cotton, lino o lana, or natural fabrics, Withouth stitches. Avoid walking barefoot around the house.
Do not apply heat directly to the feet. The diabetic person should not apply heat in the form of an electric blanket or water bag directly on their feet. Además, you have to measure the temperature of the shower water by hand, to avoid possible burns due to lack of sensitivity.
Brand new care zapatos. When diabetic shoes are released, do not walk with them more than 30 minutes per day for the first week, to observe if they produce injuries, blisters or chafing. Después, you have to gradually increase the time of use.
Examine shoes before putting them on. Before putting on your shoes, the person must check that there is no debris or foreign bodies inside them, and that the material is in perfect condition, no folds, wrinkles, holes or breaks in material.